How to Get a Discount From Comcast: Ask for It

December 28th, 2008

At least one good thing happened during snowmageddon. I got a $60 discount from Comcast.

About a week ago, I received an email from Qwest, offering a low introductory rate on Internet service. I called my Internet provider, Comcast, to see if they would match it.

The call went something like this:

Me: Hi, I got an email from Qwest offering Internet service for $24.99 for 12 months. Can you match that?

Comcast rep: No.

Me: Okay. Do you have any promotions going on?

Comcast rep: Let me check your account … I can give you $10 off for six months.

Me: Okay. Thanks.

That was it. Five minutes, $60 in my pocket.

I also asked whether I could get a discount on my cable TV bill, but the rep said no. I have analog cable, and there are no discounts right now for that type of service.

If you’re a long-time reader of this blog, you know I’ve gotten discounts twice before. The first time, I saved $108. The second time, $113. My savings were not as good this time, but for my effort, $60 is just fine.

Have you ever asked your cable TV or Internet provider to lower your rates? What was your experience?

Photo by d70focus

If you like this post, please use the icons to print, save, or share it:
  • PDF
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon

Entry Filed under: Discount

26 Comments Add your own

• 1. pdxnewbie  |  December 29th, 2008 at 3:33 am

I called them to ask for the same offer, they told me i have the best promotion, combo internet and cable for $61/mth. How much are you paying before the promo?

• 2. Amy  |  December 29th, 2008 at 8:15 am

$61 is awesome. I was paying $103 for Internet/cable combo before the $10 discount/month. I wonder if there’ll be opportunities to save when we need to convert from analog to digital cable.

• 3. Nat West  |  December 29th, 2008 at 11:01 am

I have business-class cable service, which has some more features and a REAL 503 number to call for tech support with a REAL person on the other end, named Mike, if I have problems. So not quite the same as yours, but…

I wanted to downgrade from business-class to residential since I’m no longer running my internet-heavy business from home, and instead of doing that, they sold me on keeping the business services, but paying the “full” residential price, which is like $59/month, down from $109/month. So I’m happy. Definitely call them to ask for discounts no matter your situation.

• 4. Bobby Romanski  |  December 29th, 2008 at 11:05 am

It worked for me! It reduced the bill from $45 to $29.99/month

She said that comcast doesn’t compare rates with Qwest because Qwest is slower, but she did apply a “$29.99 for 12 months” promotion code

• 5. Maricar  |  December 29th, 2008 at 11:43 am

I think Comcast is pretty good in giving discounts to their long time customers..

They have given me discounts on several occasions, most recently:
    1) I called them up to cancel my cable TV because my TV is dead and buying a new one anytime soon was not in my budget. But if I cancel the cable, I’ll end paying more for my wireless network service. And, if I decide to have cable service again later, I’d have to pay the service fee again (of $50 I think). So the CS said: “how about for the next 6 months, we’ll give you15% discount on your service. At the end of 6 months, if you still don’t have a new TV, call us back.” Yes, it theory I was paying for the cable service I was not using, but I’m saving almost $20/month.

2) I called them up again this past summer to find out if they have any current promo or how they can help save some $$ because I just got laid off, and I’m looking into cutting cost on any “unnecessary expenses” (i.e. cable TV; BTW, I only have the basic cable service). Automatically, they said: “how about we give you 20% discount on your current bundled service for the next 6 months and after that, we can look at your situation again and see if we can be of assistance still.” Just like that.

• 6. Amy  |  December 29th, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Great stories. Sounds like I should be paying even less than I am! :)

• 7. nessy  |  December 30th, 2008 at 12:15 am

I’ve called comcast and threatened to switch my services due to high rates, and they lowered my monthly rate by $20/month over a 6 month period.

• 8. laura Barton  |  December 30th, 2008 at 9:31 am

after reading your post (and I LOVE your blog by the way!) I called Comcast too. Maybe I didn’t charm the rep enough or he had already gotten too many calls, but all I got was FIVE dollars off a month for 6 months! But $30 is better than nothing, so thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work.

I know that $30 will come in handy when my next electricity bill arrives, which I’m dreading, after the Arctic Blast these past couple of weeks..

• 9. Steph  |  December 30th, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Great idea! I called Comcast and they took $12 off per month for cable and gave me internet $33 per month for 6 months which is $13 off. So I am saving $25 per month! Thanks

• 10. Everyday Finance  |  January 2nd, 2009 at 7:49 am

Great to spread the word; I just saved $250/yr for life with them by pitting an opposing service against them. Here’s a step by step with each counter statement they’ll give you and how to force them into agreeing to at least a $20/month reduction. Good luck!

• 11. Alfonso  |  January 2nd, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Thank you for the reminder! I have basic cable and internet with Comcast. I told them I am looking to reduce my bills and I mentioned the Qwest deal. Could they help me? Did they have any customer retention promotion offers they could apply to my account? The rep looked up my account and then gave me two options on the internet only:

1) $19.99 for six months or
    2) $29.99 for a year.

Since I am happy with their service, I opted for the year and the (future) savings of $155.52 for 2009. The six months savings amounted to $137.76.

• 12. Greg  |  February 24th, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I currently pay 65.00 per month for Comcast internet and cable. I called and on the second try got 10.00 off my bill for 6 months.

• 13. Natalie  |  February 25th, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Hey, thanks for the motivation. I read your blog post yesterday and called them today, http://onefrugalwife.wordpress.com/2009/02/25/calling-comcast-pays-off/

It seems like some people are still getting a better deal, but I’m happy to save some bucks!

• 14. Amber  |  April 26th, 2009 at 10:28 am

I just saved $24.00 for three months on my internet bill, so I’m paying $19.95. I had thought I was signing up for a double play, but was put on a different introductory special for internet that only lasted for 3 months. They were unwilling to put me on the double play for a full 12 months, but extended the $19.95 special for three more months. (Lesson learned: be careful when you sign up online for comcast – they like to do a bait and switch when the service is actually installed).

• 15. Angel  |  June 3rd, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Good stuff…I’m doing this right now as I write this!!! Hopefully it works!

• 16. Chelsie  |  August 20th, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Apparently they have a monopoly on our apartment building and know it…. :-( We can’t do anything but pay $100/month for digital starter cable (the lowest thing above ‘limited’) and internet. We figure that we have netflix and enjoy that so we we can save $40/month by having limited cable and get up to 5 discs at a time and pay about the same amount as we did before our promo offer expired. They have a watch instantly online feature and have tons of movies and tv series to keep us busy, and we don’t have to bother with ending promos and raising costs.

• 17. Mark  |  February 24th, 2010 at 7:13 am

Thanks to this post, I called and got my bill from $203/month down to $113/month while keeping the same service.

• 18. Rachel  |  April 1st, 2010 at 10:38 am

I call and ask them for discounts whenever the last round is over and my bill goes back up. I pay about $39 for high speed internet, which is $15 less than the regular price.

• 19. Jay  |  August 24th, 2010 at 6:45 am

Just got a $15 off for 6 months renewed. I am a happy customer.

• 20. HENRY PELC  |  October 23rd, 2010 at 11:20 pm

i have comcast phone internet and hgiest grade cable well with-out hbo etc. my bill went from atotal of 119 a month now to 200 a month, i called and they said it would be lowered back to 119 plus tax. when i recieved my bill with taxes it came to158 dollars, im thinking of down grading or taking off the phone and go with vontage for 25 dollars a month..i have a hard time understanding their bill, there are always unexplainable charges. i have 2 high- def tvs 2 dvr which i never use , internet high speed and phone..any suggestions out there for me. i am on disability due to a rare syndrome, so all i can enjoy anymore is tv, computer. i really need my bill dropped to no higher than 120 a month.is it best to spilt up my services and change to vontage for phone , or down grading also and going with vontage phone 25 dollars a month. can someone please help me . i have haggled with them in the past and things never change…henry pelc

• 21. ann  |  November 12th, 2010 at 7:36 am

Currently pay around $50 for a land line through the cable company and wonder if I should look at other options for a phone line. Would want to keep the same phone number. Any suggestions?

• 22. kim  |  January 11th, 2011 at 6:28 am

i do the bundle to the tune of 130/month or so. I do this only for the ease of one bill, rather than 3. It was about the same to have the land line phone vs. without and it’s still nice to have a phone number to give retailers so i never have to get ads/business calls on my cell phone. But I agree, hidden, unexplained charges seem to be the way of it. Next time I’m free of package deal commitments, I’m gonna drop cable all together and take advantage of my xbox/internet options. DVRs are a waste of time and i am paying for 180 t.v. stations that I never, ever use.

• 23. CUBConnects  |  February 2nd, 2011 at 11:36 am

There is a new website called CUBConnects.org, designed for the people of Oregon to help make comparisons between internet, home phone, and cell phone service providers. Simply enter in your zip code and the type of service you’re looking for, and you’ll be able to make price and feature comparisons.

CUBConnects.org

The prices shown are the true, after-promotion-expires prices. We’re also currently working on getting bundles into the database.

This not-for-profit website is a project of the Citizens’ Utility Board (CUB) Policy Center, and not affiliated with any advertisers or service providers.

• 24. Chika  |  March 1st, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I used to pay around $45 a month for internet with Comcast but I called them today to complain about my rate. I demanded a lower rate and wanted to speak to a supervisor. The rep then told me I dont have to pay anything for a year. She said $0 for 12 months and she’ll even give me free cable. She asked me if I also want her job because she’s quitting. I told her I have to pass on that offer. I dont really want to deal with people constantly calling in and asking for discounts. Sweet, one phone call and free internet and cable for a year. Thanks!

• 25. Markus  |  April 12th, 2012 at 4:24 am

Well thanks i didn’t know that to receive a discount !

• 26. Cara  |  January 30th, 2013 at 7:08 am

Thanks for the tip! I just called and got $20 off my internet service for 12 months!